Headboard Bench

A few weeks ago my sister-in-law sent me a picture of a bench made from a headboard. The request was simple, “Can you make something like this?”  Of course I answered “absolutely”. I mean, I have never done one but it seemed simple enough at the time plus I was pretty sure that it would be awhile before I was called upon for my services. Well low and behold about a week later,  I had a headboard and footboard sitting in my garage ready to go!

This looked simple enough. Cut the footboard in half, attach it to the headboard and then find something for a seat. Well when I first cut the footboard in half and mocked it to the headboard, I noticed that it caused the bench to be too deep. If I had continued on, it would have looked more like a daybed than a bench.

So I concurred with my “customer” and we agreed to knock another 12′ off of each side of the footboard. Now we had something that more closely resembled bench dimensions!

Now that the footboard was cut to the right size and I was able to dry fit it to the headboard, I noticed that it was too tall to make a solid connection to the headboard. At current height, I would have had to attach the footboard to the curved portion of the headboard. This just wouldn’t do.  The only logical choice was to cut a few inches off of the bottom of the footboard posts.

The purpose of this bench is to be used as a prop for my sister-in-law and her husband to use in their photography business. With that in mind, I wanted to build it sturdy and capable of holding up to any customer regardless of size or sitting position. So I  added three wooden dowels to each side to help reinforce the weight that could be placed on it.

I then drilled pilot holes from the back, and used three wood screws to draw it all together.  This bench is not going to fall apart!

With the footboard securely attached to the headboard, I now needed a seat. I thought about purchasing some wood from Home Depot to use but I didnt think it would blend well with the weight and design of the rest of the bench. So I headed out to my local Habitat Restore in search of something that could be used for the seat.  That is where I ran across a sweet (and heavy) table that was missing legs.  It was perfect…and cheap!

I brought it home and cut it to the proper dimensions. I used an old bunk bed ladder to assist with my straight cuts. 🙂

The new bench top was attached to the rest of the bench using wood screws. I continued to drill pilot holes to help avoid the wood splitting and countersunk all screw heads below the surface in order to later come in and cover with wood putty.  After I had it all attached,  I sent pics to my sister-in-law and her husband and although they loved it, they felt that something should be below the seat to help “fill-in” the empty space. I agreed completely. As it currently stood, it looked a little “long” legged.

Back to the tabletop I went! I cut a section off and attached it vertically right below the seat.  A quick sanding, some holes filled and joints caulked and we now have a bench! All that is left is a paint job. Once that is complete, I will be sure to post updated pics.

I love having a plan for projects but sometimes things just come together as you go. That was the case for this bench. I started with an idea of how I wanted it to look and I ended up with something that I am truly proud of. Best of all, my sister-in-law loved it!

Outdoor Farmhouse Table

One thing Ashley and I said we really wanted on the new deck was a table. A table that was capable of having 8 people sit around it in comfort but that also looked cool and was function for the space when not in use. I also knew that I was going to have a lot of old cedar 2×6’s when I pulled the decking off. I really wanted to be able to resuse this so I set out on the internet to do some searching.

I stumbled upon ann-white.com and her modern take on the old farmhouse table.  As soon as I saw this table I knew it would be perfect for our needs and would look awesome with the old reclaimed wood that I had to use.

I proceeded to download the plans and modify them to my needs. I left most of the table as it was but did lengthen it to 84″. This was done to allow for three patio chairs on each side.

After some careful searching through my wood pile, I pulled out what I considered some of the better pieces to use. I was able to cut off any rot that I found and I also ripped down some of the boards to make the 2×4 skirts.

It was my initial intent to sand this down with some 40grit sandpaper, stain, and seal but everyone that has seen it (and Ashley) says it looks fantastic the way it is. I guess I will probably leave it as is.