Adding a Base to Stock Shelf

Ashley and I thought the perfect addition to our new nursery would be the shelf below, outfitted with canvas totes that matched the color scheme of the room. The only issue I had with it was the fact that it looked incredibly stock. In a room filled with a custom dresser, board and batten walls, and hand made curtains, sheets, and a quilt, I felt that the shelf needed a bit more.

I decided what it really needed was a base. Lucky for me I still had some window casing left over from the wall updates I did (post to come soon) so I set out to add the casing to the bottom. I ended up having to use 1 – 2×4 along with 2 – 1×4’s in order to get to the perfect height for my window casing turned floor molding to line up with the bottom of the cubby.

A few coats of a really dark gray paint and I was albe to get fairly close to the expresso color of the original cubby. I think the subtle contrast in color adds to the uniqueness of the room. 🙂