Messy Door Jamb – Update

I just realized that I got so wrapped up in our Board and Batten project that I forgot to update the Door Jamb replacement job that I did!  As stated earlier, I had to do this repair because the previous owners had used wood putty to cover an old metal plate and that plate was starting to show through. I was worried that it would cut someone coming into the house. The plate also pushed the trim out away from the wall which made it harder for me to finish the trim painting like I wanted too.

This is how the door looked with the main latch plate removed. It looks like they hand chiseled the hole larger at some point in time. To the right, you can see the plate that I was talking about earlier. Its pretty clear to see why I wanted it gone.

I started out by cutting out the entire section, door knob and deadbolt included. 
I then cut a board to fit and drilled out spots for the deadbolt and door latch plates, drilled it into place and mudded over the seams. 
The final step was to paint the patch as well as the rest of the trim. In this photo, you can see the seam pretty well. That is because I used a hammer to try and knock the latch plate into the wood a bit. I didn’t realize at the time, it would break my seam up. I have since fixed it and repainted and its no longer noticeable. 
I am really happy with the way it turned out and it looks so much better than it did before. I realize that security was compromised a bit by the patch but we also have a solid storm door that is also always locked. 

Messy Door Jamb

Now that I am painting all of our Honey Oak Trim white, I decided that I should fix a little issue we have with the trim around our front door. The trim next next to the door latch was sticking out about a 1/4″ from the rest. This was caused by the previous owners doing some sort of DIY fix that involved bending metal and wood putty. I am not sure the reason for it but it was in serious need of repair and even a little dangerous as some of the metal was poking through the wood putty.

The picture below depicts what it looked like under the latch housing that I removed.  I am still confused by what their plan was. I am currently working on cutting this section out. I will then put in some new trim and latch plates. Hopefully once its all patched and painted, no one will be able to see tell the difference. It cannot be any worse that it was.

I am also going to try and move the plates back a little bit to allow for a more snug fit against the door moldings. There gets to be a bit of a draft coming through the door.

****** Update this project – here *******

And The Winner Is….

After much debate, we decided to paint the black portion of the wall to match the rest of the wall. It took a few days for me to get used to it but it has grown on me. I am still not 100% crazy about the overall color of the walls but I do like the fact that it all matches.

I have since moved on to painting the hallway trim as well as the half bath and laundry room door trim. Its amazing to me how much a little color over wood really transforms the look of a house. I feel like our home is gaining back 20 years with just some paint. Love it!

New Life for a Little Tikes House

The other day I was coming back home from a run when I came across a Little Tikes house thrown out by the curb. It had definitely seen better days and was even missing the roof but I was still interested in its potential. Even though our daughters are a little big for a playhouse of that size, our son would definitely be interested in it. The problem was, it was pink and white.

I got home and proceeded to tell my Mother-in-Law what I found and she suggested I go back and get it. One problem, I dont dumpster dive. I have seen many great things sitting on the side of the road but I have always felt bad about grabbing them, even though I know they are destined for the dump anyway. Well my Mother-in-Law had no problems with going up to the front door and asking them if we could have it, and she did. 🙂

Here is how it looked when we first got it.

House Before

After we figured out how it all needed to be assembled, we proceeded to tear it all down and give it a really good scrubbing. This thing was dirty!

After it was all clean, Ashley and I went onto Pinterest to try and find some color inspiration. We finally decided on a Nutmeg for the walls, a Colonial Red for the door, chairs, and outside flower pots, and Flat Black for the sink and table. All colors were RustOleum Ultra Cover 2X.  A note of caution, if you get this stuff at Wal-Mart, it does not have the Primer + Paint option and it also doesnt not specifically say it will work on plastic. The first cans I got at Wal-Mart. The second coat, I got the paint at Home Depot and right on the can it said will work with Plastic and had the Primer already added. The stuff from Home Depot covered much, much better.

I ended up using 5 cans of the Nutmeg and 1 can each of the Red and Black. I think had I gotten the Home Depot paint the first round, I could have covered the walls with 3 cans and been done.

The final product turned out great. Even though it doesnt have a roof, you cannot beat getting the house for free and only spending $40 bucks on paint!

New Things Coming

I  know it has been awhile since I have posted. Ashley and I have been pretty busy with life. Most notably, we bought a house!  We haven’t technically moved in yet but we already have a dozen or so plans in the works to paint, fix, rehab, and remodel.  This is a very exciting time for us.

Below are some pictures of the house as it sits now with the current homeowners. These pictures are going to make great reference points as we begin to do our own mini house remodel. Of course I am going to be posting pictures of all the great projects that we will do with before and after shots! 🙂