Cabinet Door Chalkboard Tutorial

Pinterest if full of posts from people using cabinet doors to make chalkboards. This post is no different but I thought I’d show you how I did mine! 

I knew that for Christmas, I wanted to be able to give out something that I had made that I knew people would like. We, coincidentally, had quite a few of these cabinet doors in the garage from the kitchen we purchased off of Craigslist a few years back.  That is where Pinterest came in handy and this project first took shape. 
I started out by filling in any holes that I knew I wouldn’t be reusing for knobs later on.  When the putty was dry, I proceeded to give the doors a good sanding and cleaning before painting. I, then, applied one coat of black paint to give some contract to the distressing process.  
After letting that first coat of black paint dry, I gave it a few coats of my primary color. This is the same color I used on our nursery dresser. You will notice in the pictures that I didn’t bother to paint over the middle of the door because that will be painted with chalkboard paint anyway.  Why waste paint if I don’t need to, right?

After two coats of the blue, I proceeded with the chalkboard paint. This was my first time using this paint so I opted to roll it on with a foam roller. I wanted the finish to be as smooth as possible and I knew a brush just wouldn’t give me the look I was going for. The roller worked perfectly.
With two coats of chalkboard paint on and dry, I started with my favorite part: distressing. I sanded the edges and tops a bit and then used glazed to really bring out the contrasting colors and textures. 
The final step was to drill some holes for the knobs and attach. Since these were Christmas presents, the knobs were picked out with each gift receiver in mind. This made a great way to customize each gift for the person receiving it. 🙂

I was really happy with how they turned out and I know that everyone that received one, really enjoyed their uniqueness as well. 

Messy Door Jamb – Update

I just realized that I got so wrapped up in our Board and Batten project that I forgot to update the Door Jamb replacement job that I did!  As stated earlier, I had to do this repair because the previous owners had used wood putty to cover an old metal plate and that plate was starting to show through. I was worried that it would cut someone coming into the house. The plate also pushed the trim out away from the wall which made it harder for me to finish the trim painting like I wanted too.

This is how the door looked with the main latch plate removed. It looks like they hand chiseled the hole larger at some point in time. To the right, you can see the plate that I was talking about earlier. Its pretty clear to see why I wanted it gone.

I started out by cutting out the entire section, door knob and deadbolt included. 
I then cut a board to fit and drilled out spots for the deadbolt and door latch plates, drilled it into place and mudded over the seams. 
The final step was to paint the patch as well as the rest of the trim. In this photo, you can see the seam pretty well. That is because I used a hammer to try and knock the latch plate into the wood a bit. I didn’t realize at the time, it would break my seam up. I have since fixed it and repainted and its no longer noticeable. 
I am really happy with the way it turned out and it looks so much better than it did before. I realize that security was compromised a bit by the patch but we also have a solid storm door that is also always locked. 

Messy Door Jamb

Now that I am painting all of our Honey Oak Trim white, I decided that I should fix a little issue we have with the trim around our front door. The trim next next to the door latch was sticking out about a 1/4″ from the rest. This was caused by the previous owners doing some sort of DIY fix that involved bending metal and wood putty. I am not sure the reason for it but it was in serious need of repair and even a little dangerous as some of the metal was poking through the wood putty.

The picture below depicts what it looked like under the latch housing that I removed.  I am still confused by what their plan was. I am currently working on cutting this section out. I will then put in some new trim and latch plates. Hopefully once its all patched and painted, no one will be able to see tell the difference. It cannot be any worse that it was.

I am also going to try and move the plates back a little bit to allow for a more snug fit against the door moldings. There gets to be a bit of a draft coming through the door.

****** Update this project – here *******