Spray Painting Brass

Our house has a lot of brass. Brass doorknobs  mirrors, light fixtures, and switch plates. Oh yeah, we also hate brass. Hate it.

So we did what any homeowner would do in our situation. We spray painted! We started out with a plan to do the door knobs and it quickly escalated into the bathroom mirror and light fixture. I was then walking down the hallway and noticed our brass light cover and that got added to the party as well.

We chose to use Rust-oleum’s Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint for this project. It’s a 2-in-1 primer/paint and it is an amazing product to work with. It coats well, doesn’t run, and dries to the touch in 30 minutes.  It also allows a second coat in 1 hour. It’s a little in the pricey side at almost $8 dollars a can but it sure beats having to purchase all new knobs!

Mirror and Light Completed
Door Knobs completed

I think the biggest transformation came with the light fixture. Not only did we get rid of the hideous brass color but we also replaced the the flowered shades and installed some brighter bulbs. Huge difference!

Light Fixture Completed

A quick peak at our local big box hardware store and we found that new door knobs would have cost us about $20 apiece x 4. A new light cover would have been $10. New mirror would have set up back about $50 and a new light sconce would have been $50+.  We would have spent about $200 plus on this project if we were to replace everything. We did it for $8. Not too bad. 🙂

Painted Candle Holders

When Ashley and I first moved into our new home there were these candle holders located above the fireplace mantel that we just didn’t care for very much.

At first glance, one would have thought they were hard-wired into the wall but upon closer inspection we noticed that they were only attached to the wall via a small screw. We proceeded to take them down, throw them into a box and toss them into the garage. After all, the bright copper look of them was not quite our style.

After moving the containing box several times while out in the garage, I decided I needed to do something with these things. I hated the current look but couldn’t bring myself to throw them away or even to donate them (I am on a huge upcycling kick right now).  We have been having really good luck with the Rustoeluem spray paint on some other projects, so I decided to give painting these a shot. Ashley happened to have some left over paint from another project  so I figured it wouldn’t cost me anything to experiment.

I couldn’t be happier with how they turned out.

Before I even started painting, I knew these would look really nice on the support posts leading into the gazebo.  After they were painted and attached, I proved myself right.

 Before and After