Unexpected Basement Issues

On Monday I walked down into the basement to check and empty our dehumidifier. As I walked the hallway into the bathroom, I stepped down and was met with the unexpected feeling of water underfoot through the carpet.

Since it was raining out at the time, I immediately opened up the store room where the sump pump is located thinking that maybe it quit working.

Nope

It was running and the store room was dry.

My next thought was the A/C closet in the bathroom. So there I went and upon opening the door, noticed that the entire closet floor was wet and I could hear water dripping. I immediately suspected a clogged condensation tube.

I ran upstairs and turned off the A/C and ran back downstairs. The dripping stopped so I knew it was defiantly coming from the A/C unit.

Crap…

I grabbed a few towels and started the process of soaking up as much water as I could from the hallway carpet.

Six towels later it seemed better.

I woke up the next morning and called my HVAC company. After all, this unit is less than 6 months old and I should not be having any issues yet. They came out and found that a piece of insulation had fallen from the newly constructed box and blocked the tube. Just as I thought!

He removed the piece and did some more inspections to make sure that nothing else was missed. He also promised to make this up to us and did not charge for the service call.

After he left, Ashley went and grabbed her sisters carpet shampooer and I proceeded to use it to extract the water from the carpet. Two gallons later I knew this was not going to work and that I probably had to remove the padding.

So I pulled the carpet up and, sure enough, the pad was soaked. I removed all the wet pieces and then propped the carpet up on whatever I could find and used as many fans as I could to dry the carpet out.

As of this morning, the carpet was dry but I will give it another day or so just in case. Then I will put down new padding and do my best to get the carpet stretched back into place.

Luckily, the water didnt get high enough to hit any sheetrock and from what I can tell, this hallway was the only place to get the water.

I am a bit frustrated that the water didnt go down the drain like it should have. Apparently my house has settled a bit in the 20+ years since its been built. I might have to look into a way to chisel some channels into that closet so if this should happen again, the water goes to where it should.

Basement Entertainment Center

I had been holding off on this post for awhile because I felt the basement entertainment center wasn’t 100% done yet. But as I read other DIY blogs, I often see posts coming in mid-stream. If they can do it, why can’t I?

The basement center or “bar” was one of the first projects I started at this house. The cabinets I  purchased from a guy that I found on Craigslist and their acquisition has been quite the story to tell. Let’s just say it involves a remodeled home and an overly enthusiastic Russian couple with very little DIY experience.

After I got the cabinets home and unloaded, I set out to give them a good sanding. After all, they had many years of built up grease and dirt on them.

After a really really good sanding, I gave each cabinet a coat of primer and then black paint. I actually painted the entire cabinet inside and out. Looking back, I probably didn’t need to do quite an extensive job. Painting the inside of a cabinet that no one is ever going to see is a lot of unnecessary work.

Moving into a new home and having a limited budget, we decided to try and reuse the existing hardware as much as we could. The biggest issue with the hardware was that it was a worn brass. If you are an active reader of this blog, you will remember that we dont like brass! So off to the store we went in search of some paint to resolve this issue. We settled on Rust-oleum silver.

Once everything was dry, I brought it all down into the basement for assembly. Since this is a basement, I wanted to make sure the wood of the cabinets remained free from moisture so I spread out DRIcore subfloor panels beneath where the cabinets would touch the concrete. It did elevate the bar up about an inch but is not noticeable especially with the carpet coming right up to the cabinets.

I assembled the pieces, screwed them together and to the wall, then topped the entire thing off with a Formica countertop we purchased at Home Depot.

Some future plans for this space include putting an electrical outlet at bar height and another one directly behind the fridge space. Once that is done, we will put up a tile backsplash.