We are making some good progress on the kitchen pass through project. Phase II is complete and we are now ready to begin the corner moldings. But first, here is a brief recap on how we got to where we are.
After removing the trim along the inside of the pass through along with the floor trim, we screwed 2×2’s onto each side of the wall. We wanted to make each column as close to a square as possible. Adding the 2×2’s got us quite a bit closer.
With the 2×2’s in place, we then moved onto the MDF. I purchased 3 sheets of 1/2″ 4’x8′ MDF from Home Depot and had the fine folks there rip them down to 2’x8’s sheets for ease of transport.
Cutting them at home was made much easier with my new Kreg Rip-Cut tool. If you do a lot of long cuts, this tool is a must have. What a life saver and so easy to use!
Anyway, we cut the MDF to size and hammered them to the 2×2’s using simple nails. Not perfectly square or pretty but since this is only the 1st layer, I am thinking it shouldn’t matter to much. At least I am hoping it doesn’t matter to much. 🙂
It is looking so much better already! The gap near the top of each column was supposed to be where a piece of trim would slide in but I screwed up the measurements and it should have been an inch lower.
I will have to cover it up and then think of something else. Oh well. It happens. 🙂