Slowly making some progress on our coat wall. Purchased 2’x4′ sheets of MDF at Home Depot so its taking a bit longer to put up and I have to actually cut each piece before I nail it to the wall. I’m also applying some wall compound to the edges in order to help with the painting process. I really hope to have all the wood up by the end of the weekend.
It seems that every time I turn around or go on Pinterest, I find another project that I want to start. The problem with that is it makes it really hard to concentrate on the project at hand. Case in point, I have been looking at ways to redo the arches that go into our toy room (officially its a den). I have already painted them from the drab honey oak to the white but I feel like they are missing that visual appeal that makes people say “Wow!”.
- Finish painting all trim on main floor
- Paint window trim
- Front door
- Remove carpet
- Stain stairs
- Paint balusters
- Stain handrail
- Hardwood (vinyl) upstairs
- Hardwood (vinyl) main floor
- Basement (vinyl)
- 1/2 bath on main floor
- Kitchen countertop and backsplash
- Fireplace retile and paint
- Demolish gazebo and use wood to make more raised gardens
- Hall closet converted to pantry/hall closet
- Outdoor shed for lawn and garden tools
A friend recently introduced me to SketchUp and I cannot stop using it!. What an amazing (and free for personal use) tool for the DIYer. One of my biggest hurdles when coming up with a new project is how to best design it so that I know what its going to look like ahead of time as well as the ability to show my wife my ideas. I know that I am not very good at explaining ideas and I am even worse at drawing but with SketchUp all of my problems are solved!
Below are a few things that I kicked out in about 10 minutes each. As I continue to practice, I am finding that I can create these quick and cleaner. They aren’t to scale but I really don’t care. Its more for the visual anyway.
The first one is a coat wall that Ashley and I have talked about for awhile and the second one is an idea I had to update the look of a few archways that we have on the main floor.
Now that I am painting all of our Honey Oak Trim white, I decided that I should fix a little issue we have with the trim around our front door. The trim next next to the door latch was sticking out about a 1/4″ from the rest. This was caused by the previous owners doing some sort of DIY fix that involved bending metal and wood putty. I am not sure the reason for it but it was in serious need of repair and even a little dangerous as some of the metal was poking through the wood putty.
The picture below depicts what it looked like under the latch housing that I removed. I am still confused by what their plan was. I am currently working on cutting this section out. I will then put in some new trim and latch plates. Hopefully once its all patched and painted, no one will be able to see tell the difference. It cannot be any worse that it was.
I am also going to try and move the plates back a little bit to allow for a more snug fit against the door moldings. There gets to be a bit of a draft coming through the door.